Most kids get a Christmas/Holiday or winter break from school, and for parents, this can be a stressful time. Why is this? Your kids may be bored, they may be begging for something to do, and chances are with the weather, you may not be able to send them out to play. So, what can you do?
We have a few ideas on how to make this break one that is not only going to be fun, but can be educational in many ways!
- Take this time to talk about giving to others, and then allow your kids to get old toys or clothes that they no longer play with or wear to give to those who are less fortunate. On the plus side, this can be a great help to you as well!
- Take this time to make some homemade ornaments for your tree. There are tons of ideas that you can find online, and these types of projects are going to encourage your child to be more creative and work on their artistic skills.
- Have a book festival! Have all the kids go to your local library and pick out a few books for the week. This is great for encouraging their reading skills!
- Turn your kids into little chefs and allow them to help with snacks or dinner. This can be a fun experience for everyone!
- Send out some homemade holiday cards or make some thank you cards, and have your kids make these. It is not only an artistic way to spend a few hours, but it encourages them to remember how important it is to think of others.
- Make an indoor scavenger hunt for the kids. Hide something and set out these clues. It will get them active and entertain them as well.
- Look up the local birds that are in your area, and then make some bird feeders for these birds to hang outside.
Be creative and think outside the box! There is no reason that this winter break should not be spent doing a few things that entertains, as well as educates!